Students are classified as dependent or independent because federal student aid programs are based on the principle that students (and their parents) are considered the primary source of support for postsecondary education. However, there are situations, such as a student marrying before or during a given FAFSA year, that can change the student’s dependency status.

If the Student believes their status should be independent for financial aid purposes, they may complete a Student Marital Status Appeal Form: