There are multiple ways in which Iowa State provides assistance with educational expenses, such as:
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Federal Loan Options
Direct Unsubsidized Loan
Students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility. Graduate students must be enrolled at least half-time (5 credits for those not on assistantship) to be eligible. There is no credit check or cosigner required, and payments are not required while students are enrolled at least half-time.
Graduate Annual Borrowing Limits
These amounts are the maximum that can be borrowed during one academic year (Fall/Spring).
|Annual Federal Direct Loan Amounts
|Undeclared Graduate Student
|Veterinary Medicine Student
* An undeclared graduate student can receive up to $12,500 over the course of 12 months.
Aggregate Borrowing Limits
These amounts are the maximum a student can borrow over the lifetime (undergraduate and graduate borrowing).
|Graduate Aggregate Borrowing Limits
|Graduate or Professional Student
|Health Professions Student (Veterinary Medicine)
Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA
- Complete the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Application
- Complete the Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- First-time Graduate PLUS borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling
- Please allow 7-10 business days for the loan to be added to your Financial Aid Offer in AccessPlus
- Students must borrow the full amount of the Direct Unsubsidized Loan before they can receive a Graduate PLUS loan
- Students must be enrolled at least half-time (5 credits)
- Students must pass a credit check during the application