Every year, federal regulation requires all post-secondary institutions awarding federal financial aid to complete Verification on a select number of their FAFSA applicants (CFR Title 34, Part 668, Subpart E). The students are selected by either the US Department of Education or the institution. Students chosen for Verification must provide required supporting documentation as requested on the FAFSA Status Page in AccessPlus. Submitted documentation will be compared to what was submitted in the student’s FAFSA, and any necessary corrections will be made to the FAFSA by the institution.
- See FAFSA Verification Deadlines for more information.
Before Submitting Documentation Checklist
- Double-check the AccessPlus FAFSA Status Page to ensure that you will submit acceptable documentation and everything we asked you to submit. Please also double-check any email communication you may have received from a Financial Aid advisor to ensure that you will submit everything we asked you to
- All information is legible, hand-signed, and fully completed
- Federal tax documents and/or income statements are from 2021 for the 23-24 FAFSA
- Federal tax documents and/or income statements are from 2020 for the 22-23 FAFSA
- All pages of the Student and/or Parent Verification Form are fully completed and hand-signed
If the forms contain incomplete, missing or non-legible information, there will be an additional delay of 3-4 weeks in processing the student’s financial aid. Please double-check all forms before submitting them to our office.
Submission of Verification
- Online Verification Forms
- The Online Verification Form is the preferred method to submit Parent and Student Institutional Verification Forms, reducing potential errors and resulting in quicker processing
- Students can now complete and sign the Student Institutional Verification Form online through AccessPlus on the FAFSA Status Page
- The Parent Institutional Verification Form can also be completed on the AccessPlus FAFSA Status Page by a parent on the FAFSA who the student has assigned Third Party Access for financial aid information
- The student is the one who creates and maintains the Third Party Access account for their parents
- Please only submit documents required on the AccessPlus FAFSA Status Page or additional documentation requested by a Financial Aid Advisor
- Please check your student Iowa State email and/or the parent’s email listed on the FAFSA frequently for additional documentation required as our staff revie
When completed, the verification documents should be sent to the Iowa State University Office of Student Financial Aid. The following are all the ways you can submit forms starting with the most preferred to least preferred methods:
If the Office of Student Financial Aid is closed, please utilize the drop boxes located in the hallway by the restrooms and elevator to the left of the Office of Student Financial Aid
Office of Student Financial Aid
515 Morrill Road
0210 Beardshear Hall
Ames, IA 50011-2103
- Check the FAFSA Status page on AccessPlus to confirm receipt of any documentation submitted.
- Please note the document status when you upload documentation may not change immediately. If you do not see the status of the item change within 48 business hours, please get in touch with the Office of Student Financial Aid to confirm receipt of the documents.
- Students and those with Third-Party Access can view the current FAFSA Verification status on AccessPlus under:
- Student tab > Financial Aid > FAFSA Status
- Check your ISU email and/or parent email listed on the FAFSA frequently to see if Financial Aid staff have contacted you to request additional documentation or clarification
- Courtesy Reminders will be sent to students via their ISU email/AccessPlus monthly beginning in February if any documents are still needed to resolve Verification.
Standard Verification can take up to 2+ weeks for staff to review. If errors in documentation or additional documentation are requested after initial documentation has been submitted, this will increase the time it takes to complete Verification. Please submit your forms as early as possible to prevent any delays. Please read all directions on the documentation requested. Ensure your documents are acceptable forms listed on the student’s FAFSA Status Page. Please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid if you have questions about what is needed to complete Verification.