All tax documents submitted for the 2024-2025 FAFSA should be from 2022.
All tax documents submitted for the 2023-2024 FAFSA should be from 2021.
Provide only copies, not originals, of any tax documents requested. We cannot return any tax documents from the student or parent provided to our office to support data security

U.S. Tax Filers

If you are unable to successfully import your tax filing data directly from the IRS on your FAFSA, you may submit one of the following:

  • Provide a copy of the Federal Tax Return Transcript
  • copy of the hand-signed IRS Federal 1040 tax return, including schedules 1, 2, and 3 if filed. The 1040 must be a copy of the return that was submitted to the IRS

Amended Tax Return

  • If filed, submit a complete copy of the Federal 1040X hand-signed and include form 8863 if filed with the Amended Tax Return.
  • If you did not retain a copy of your Federal 1040X and cannot retrieve one from your tax preparer, you can request a Record of Account Transcript from the IRS.
  • If you did not utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA and made no changes to the IRS data provided, we will also need to review the original unamended hand-signed IRS Form 1040 with all filed schedules. If you did not retain a copy of the original 1040 you can request a Federal Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.

Proof of Separation/Divorce

If your marital status changed since you filed your tax return, the Financial Aid staff will request documentation to split the tax return to only represent the individual’s income.

Separated Individuals

  • Provide copies of all of your W2s. If you did not retain a copy of your W2, you can request a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS.
  • Provide a copy of your current lease/mortgage for both separated individuals showing proof of separate residence


  • Provide copies of your most current utility bills (gas, water, or electric, only) for both separated individuals showing proof of separate residence

Divorced Individuals

Widowed Individuals

Puerto Rico Tax Filers

  • Provide a hand-signed complete copy of a Puerto Rico Federal Tax Return.

Foreign Tax Filers

  • Provide a hand-signed copy of your Foreign Tax Return as well as a hand-signed copy translated into English
    • For Indian Tax Returns: Please provide the 2023-2024 Indian Tax Return for the 2024-2025 FAFSA and the 2022-2023 Indian Tax Return for the 2023-2024 FAFSA
    • If your country does not have a tax system but instead only provides wage statements, please visit the Non-Tax Filers Page

Victims of IRS Tax-Related Identity Theft

Beginning with the 2013 tax year, tax filers who, because of IRS Tax-Related Identity Theft, are denied an IRS Tax Return Transcript will be referred to the Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) at the toll-free number 800-908-4490. Filers who believe they are victims of identity theft do not need to be referred to the IPSU; they may call the number directly or go to the identity theft website. Tax filers can request that the IRS mail to them an alternate paper tax return transcript called a TRDBV (Transcript Database View). It will look different from the regular IRS Tax Return Transcript. Additionally, the tax filer will need to provide a completed Verification of IRS Identity Theft Form.